I've been working with UDK Mobile on a new game project. Upon downloading the UDK and getting it ready to check in to source control I found there were a whole bunch of files I didn't need since I'm creating a mobile only project. Here is how I've configured my project to minimize space and increase my productivity as a coder. What is nice about this configuration is that it allows you to have a whole bunch of UDK instances on your system at once without getting conflicts.
I've done the following.
- Removed the UDKGame folder. This folder is over half the size of the whole dev folder. This is an easy way to avoid having to check as much into source control if space matters.
- Added batch files for the most common operations which I've included the contents of below.
- Created a new folter under Development/Src/EPGame/Classes for the classes that will be a part of my new game.
- Created a test map for my game in the UDK editor.
- Deleted EpicCitadel.mobile map file because it is HUGE on the disk and I'm not going to ever use it. Don't delete the content for it because you can totally use that stuff in your game.
- Go to MobileGame/Config/DefaultGame.ini and under [Engine.GameInfo] set DefaultGame=EPGame.EPGameInfo where EPGame is the folder you make for your game in the Development/Src folder and EPGameInfo is your main GameInfo class. This will let your artists preview your game rules running inside of the UDK editor.
Batch File Contents
BuildAndRun.bat - Builds and then just runs the mobile game with no logging.
BuildMobile.bat - Builds and pauses so you can read any errors that may occur during the build.
MobileEditor.bat - Start UDK editor in mobile mode
MobileGame.bat - Start mobile emulator with the log showing.
Binaries\Win32\UDKMobile.exe -simmobile -log